Saturday, July 16, 2011

Betty's Burgers - Santa Cruz, CA


Back in February, work took me to California for a week and one day I found myself in Santa Cruz over the lunch hour and I was looking for somewhere to land for a meal.  As we drove down to the beachfront to check out the Pacific Ocean for a minute, we passed a burger joint, Betty's Burgers, just a few blocks from the beach.  A sign proclaiming their burgers as the best burgers in Santa Cruz and so I thought it was time to check it out.

Betty's has a small indoor seating area and a larger outdoor seating area.  It was a perfect afternoon for dining al fresco so I went in to order before dining outside.  Like many fast casual restaurants, you order at the counter and then find your seat and a server brings the food out when it is ready.  The menu had a wide range of burgers and fair prices by California standards.  One of the best things about the menu is that everything is fresh.  Fresh veggies, fresh buns, fresh cut fries, and fresh, never frozen meat.  I also found it funny that they referred to all of their sauces and condiments as lube on the menu.  Burgers range in price from just under $5 to nearly $7.

After scanning the menu, I settled on the Mad Mex burger.  The Mad Mex is a 1/2 pound burger topped with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, chipolte lube, and fresh guacamole.  The thought of a burger with fresh guacamole in California was just irresistable.  I finished my order with some fries and a soda.  Then I found a seat outside and anxiously awaited the arrival of my lunch.  While I was waiting, my mouth watered continually as I saw other diners receive their meals and smelled the wonderful aroma of fresh ground beef sizzling on the grill.
After was seemed like an eternity (but was really only like 8-10 minutes), my meal arrived.  And it looked spectacular.  The burger was nice and very juicy.  About 5 napkins juicy.  The guacamole and all of the veggies on board were indeed fresh and delicious.  Perhaps the only downside to the meal was that the fries were unimpressive.  They were pretty thin and crispy, which I like but they were unseasoned and just not inspiring.

Overall, though I would say that Betty's Burgers would get my vote for best burger in Santa Cruz.  Take a look at this and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment