Saturday, July 16, 2011

17th Street Bar and Grill - Murphysboro, IL

For years now, I have been into barbecue.  Eating barbecue, but also smoking it myself.  Several years ago, I found myself at the bookstore and a new book caught my eye called Peace, Love and BBQ.  I flipped through the pages and saw that the author was from southern Illinois.  My family is from southern Illinois and at the time I was living far away from home in South Dakota so the prospect of a book about barbecue and my homeland sounded great so I snatched it up.  I immediately read the book cover to cover and found it to be full of great recipes, wonderful stories and lot's of barbecue folklore.  The book is part cookbook, part memoir and part survey of the greatest barbecue restaurants across the country.  The book not only motivated me to take my smoking to the next level, but to also begin my journey as a professional barbecue competitor. 

Fast forward to September of 2010, and I set foot in Murphysboro, Illinois, with my barbecue team, Thin Blue BBQ, to compete in Mike Mills' own contest.  The annual Praise the Lard contest attracts a great deal of competition.  Some of the best teams in the country show up and as a newer competition team, we just hoped to be respectable.  To our amazement we got 2nd place in ribs!  The highlight of the weekend was getting to shake the hand of the man behind the contest and the book that inspired me, Mike Mills.

Two weeks ago, I found myself in Murphysboro and I headed to 17th Street Bar and Grill for some lunch.  I immediately ordered my favorite appetizer, pimento cheese and hot links.  The cheese is so cold and creamy, while the hot links are smoky with just the right amount of spice.  I can't get enough of it.

For my entree, I had a delicious serviing of perfectly smoked beef brisket.  My favorite part of the meal though were the sides.  I got my meal with coleslaw and hush puppies.  Two sides that I remember fondly from childhood.  And coleslaw in southern Illinois means that it has vinegar on it instead of mayo.  the crispness of the cabbage paired with the tart vinegar flavor is unbelievable.

While I was dining, I asked the server if Mills was at the restaurant that day and she said that he is usually in the office across the street when he was in town.  After my meal, I thought I would take the chance and head over to see if he was in.  To my fortune he was.  And I had the chance to talk barbecue and competitions with my personal idol for over a half an hour.  Mills was so generous with his time and so friendly.  It is easy to see how he has achieved such success when he is so personable and approachable.  The cap to my visit was a picture that I will always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment