Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bigelo's Bistro - Edwardsville, IL

This Tuesday while I was getting ready for a meeting in downtown Edwardsville for work, I sought out a spot to grab some lunch.  As usual, I looked for a chance to dine at a local restaurant.  I stumbled on Bigelo's Cafe.  It was convenient for me because it was right across the street from where my meeting would be and it had a nice, modern look to the restaurant.  Once inside, the decor was modern and nice.  The restaurant seats about 50 at a time around tables and at the bar.  When I came in at about 12:30 pm. there were not many seats available, which I always take as a good sign.

A server greeted us as she walked by and told us to find a seat anywhere.  I selected a small table toward the back so I could watch the service.  Our server came by quickly and took our drink order and our food order a short time after that.  I chose a BLT sandwich and a Greek salad for the side.  My co-worker ordered a club sandwich and the same Greek salad.  The menu was full of affordable items.  The BLT was $7.69 and I was able to add the side salad for $2.50 more.

The salads were delivered quickly and were delicious. The serving was generous and would equal a full-size salad at many other restaurants. The lettuce was crisp and the tangy dressing was well balanced against the salty flavor of the black olives and generous helping of feta cheese.  Things were off to a good start and as soon as I finished the salad, my sandwich arrived.  The BLT was delicious.  It was made on Texas toast, which had been grilled on the flattop grill.  It had a crunch to the outside of the bread with a soft, sweet interior.  The bacon was crisp, but not brittle and the sandwich had the right amount of mayonnaise, lettuce and juicy tomatoes.



The only downside was that my co-worker ordered a club sandwich, yet he received a BLT like me.  Our server was attentive and kind, but during a busy lunch rush I think the problem arose because the servers don't write down their orders.  More and more restaurants seem to be adopting this model, but I always like to see someone write down my order.

Overall, I had a great meal and a good experience at Bigelo's.  The decor was nice, the staff was friendly, and the food was great.  They have a nice selection of beers and wines there as well and I saw a flyer for an upcoming 5-course dinner they were having as a special event.  For more information, find them at www.bigelosbistro.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment