Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Iron Barley - St. Louis, MO

I first discovered Iron Barley on television when Guy Fieri made a stop there on his show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.  I was intrigued by the owner, Tom Coghill's, attitude about producing great food in a laid back environment.  I also like the fact that Coghill is a big fan of home brewing beer.  So when the opportunity presented itself to dine at Iron Barley, I just couldn't pass it up.

My journey began as the man himself surveyed his kingdom from behind the bar.  Coghill was very approachable and he was more than happy to discuss his cooking style and how he makes the barbecue items on his menu.  So before I even offered, I was already feeling good about my experience.


 The atmosphere inside Iron Barley may seem eclectic and uninspiring, but for folks that know the area of south St. Louis would appreciate that the decor perfectly fits the clientele that Coghill serves.  And the staff at Iron Barley is no exception.  My server had the perfect mix of smart ass sensibility and classic charm.

When I first heard of Iron Barley I was intrigued by the barbecue on the menu and the preparation of it I saw on television.  While I am always interested in good barbecue, on this particular day another entree item caught my eye.  As I surveyed the diverse menu, the good ole German boy in me was awakened to see Schnitzel and Spaetzle.  My decision was simple.  Go with the old world charm of a classic German combo.


When my meal arrived, it looked delicious.  I took my first bite from the spaetzle and found myself perplexed.  While it had the texture I always remember and love, the flavor was not exactly what I remembered.  I began to fear that I may have overplayed the fond memories of this dish and made it impossible for me to enjoy Iron Barley's version.  That's when I decided to turn my attention to the Schnitzel.  After squeezing a generous supply of fresh lemon juice on top, I sliced off a bite and took my chances.  The schnitzel was flavorful, with a proper texture and the meat itself was very juicy.  So despite the rocky start with the spaetzle, I was in heaven.  Sweet, German, toss a stein of beer, heaven.

After polishing off my entree, I decided that I couldn't leave without trying dessert.  While I was waiting for my meal, my server made sure to entice me by describing the super cold blaster pies on the menu.  So based on her recommendation, I ordered a peanut butter blaster pie.  The pie itself was peanut butter and was extremely frozen.  It was topped with whipped cream flavored with cayenne pepper.  It was covered in a chipotle, chocolate sauce and a strawberry, habanero sauce.  The image of the sweet with the heat sounded great.  I hate to say it, but the low point of the meal was definitely the low point of the meal.  There was just too much going on and the pie was way to frozen.  You could barely break off a bite.  It took forever to eat the pie and I couldn't even finish it.

The pie also just didn't hit the mark with the heat versus sweet.  I think they just needed to include one topping and not three.  Having all three just muddled the flavors and the spices together.  However, I do like it when someone is adventurous enough to give new things a try.  And it wasn't inedible.

So while my meal wasn't entirely fantastic, I did find Iron Barley to be a good stop.  Coghill and his staff are great, the decor is fitting and the schnitzel was incredible.  If I find myself on the south side of St. Louis around meal time in the future, I am confident that you will be able to find me dining at Iron Barley.

No comments:

Post a Comment