Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Josephine's Tea Room - Godfrey, IL

Just a couple of miles north of Alton, Illinois, lies Josephine's Tea Room.  The Tea Room has been around since 1979 and it grew from a gift shop to a tea room and eventually into its current incarnation. A maze of connected buildings adds a full-service restaurant to the mix.  I didn't know anything about Josephine's before I stopped in, but I quickly saw a theme.  Nearly all of the patrons were women.  Now I am secure in my manhood and so I was not intimidated.  Undaunted, I was seated in a large atrium-style room.

The menu seemed limited at first as it is mainly composed of salads and sandwiches.  Between the feminine decor, all the ladies drinking tea, and the light menu, I could feel my testosterone draining.  Where was the steak?  The deep fried foods?  I was beginning to feel a little faint.  Just then the server greeted me and saved me.

While the menu wasn't expansive, the server began describing a number of different daily lunch specials.  Then it all made sense.  While they keep a certain amount of items on the menu all of the time, they rotate the entrees seasonally.  This was a good sign.  It meant that regulars get variety and things change with what is in season.  A sign that ordering the specials means that you are ordering fresh food with the freshest ingredients.

As the server described the specials of the day, I found myself drawn to one particular dish.  Perhaps it was the estrogen that overcame me, but I ordered the crab and spinach quiche.  I am a real man and if you ask my wife she will confirm it, but on this day I ate quiche. 

When the food arrived, I could tell that I made the right choice.  Man or no man, I knew this would be good.


The quiche was good.  Full of cheese, spinach and warm crab meat.  It was hot, it was moist and the crust was light and flaky.  The salad was good as well.  Crisp, cold vegetables that were all fresh and the house dressing was nice.  A little tangy and it complimented the meal well.

So despite the fact that I was enormously outnumbered by women, I held my ground and earned a safe passage for all the men who would come after me to Josephine's.  Man or woman, if you enjoy fresh food for a good price then head right over.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment