Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Cow Palace - Shelbyville, IN

Just southeast of Indianapolis, Indiana, lies the small town of Shelbyville.  While it is the county seat for Shelby County, it is a distinctly working class town without much to offer beyond a historic movie theater and a collection of industrial employers.  This is certainly not to say there aren't great people living and working in Shelbyville because there are, but it isn't exactly a tourist destination.

Like the factories that are the lifeblood of the town, the food mirrors that utilitarian theme.  Restaurants serve simple, diner-style food among the number of familiar fast food and casual dining options in town.  Just north of the downtown square, a local eatery came up on my radar screen.  The Cow Palace is a restaurant and ice cream shop that serves up diner fare with a unique spin on some dishes.

The restaurant sits on the site of the former homesite for noted local author, Charles Major.  Major lived from 1856 to 1913 and is known for writing When Knighthood Was In Flower and The Bears of Blue River.  A plaque at the entrance to the restaurant recognizes the site in his honor.


On my visit, I scanned the menu filled with traditional diner selections like the cheeseburger, pork tenderloin sandwich, soups, salads, and other sandwiches.  One particular item caught my eye.  It seemed to advertise a most delicious combination of two classic diner dishes.  Just as the Labradoodle transfigured two distinctly different large breed dogs, the Cow Palace has transformed the sandwich by pairing a cheeseburger with a BLT club sandwich.  Snuggled between three slices of bread this sandwich boasts a cheeseburger patty, lot's of crispy, hickory-smoked bacon along with fresh lettuce and sliced tomatoes.  Mayonnaise completes the sandwich.  Naturally, I had to order this.

What arrived at my table looked exactly like a club sandwich with the exception of the sliced deli meat being substituted for the cheeseburger.  I can readily say the sandwich was all that I hoped for.  It was equal parts tasty BLT and juicy cheeseburger.  I truly enjoyed every delicious bite.  The french fries served alongside were alright, but needed a dose of salt to make them have some flavor.  I also indulged myself with a strawberry milkshake that was very thick and rich.  In traditional diner fashion I got a tall glass filled with my shake and the metal mixing container with all the extra shake mixture.  It was the perfect compliment to my meal.

If you ever find yourself in Shelbyville, Indiana, I would encourage you to drop in to the Cow Palace and sample their fare.  I can assure you that the Cheeseburger BLT will exceed your expectations.  The prices are very fair and on par with small town pricing.  My total bill for this meal was right around $10 before tip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment